Monday, September 20, 2010

Tomato Provençale

I served these tomatoes with my spoon bread I made other day. They are really easy, but need a while to sit around and soak up seasoning and drain. It worked out well as spoon bread needs an hour in the oven, but I might be tempted in the future to skip the whole draining thing or at least shorten it. 


Basically this is breadless garlic bread. So if you're still trying to go low-carb, this might be for you. I don't have any amounts listed because it really depends on how many tomatoes you are making and your individual taste buds. I LOVE garlic. I probably eat too much of it, so unless you're off fighting off vampires, you'd never probably put as much in as I would.  It's also heading to the end of basil season around here so I was very generous in how much basil I used just so that I use up everything on my plant before the winter kicks in.







Tomatoes Provençale


Prep time: 10 min + up to 1 hour draining
Cooking time: 15 min



Big, ripe tomatoes
Fresh Provençale herbs - basil is a must, then maybe rosemary, lavender, thyme, etc.
Dried Oregano

Garlic
Olive oil or melted butter
salt and pepper

Instructions
In a small bowl, press the garlic, add a pinch or two of oregano and enough olive oil to brush on all of your tomatoes. Set aside for a moment. 

Wash and cut your tomatoes into thick, horizontal slices. Set them on a rack to drain; salt and pepper both sides generously.

Wash, remove from the stems, and finely chop the fresh herbs.

Brush each tomato slice on both sides with the olive oil mixture. The on one side, add a layer of herbs on each slice. Top with any remaining garlic or olive oil. Let the tomatoes drain on the rack for up to one hour, at room temperature. 

Preheat oven to 177°C/350°F. Place the tomatoes under the broiler for a few minutes until brown, turn the heat back down to 177°C/350°F and bake for 15 min on the middle rack. Serve immediately.
© 2010 Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails