Thursday, March 24, 2011

The first basils and cilantros are here!

I went grocery shopping this morning to pick up some things for a green smoothie post that I'll be doing and what did I see? Organic Austrian basil and cilantro! I wasn't expecting them to show up in the shops for another month at the earliest. You can find fresh basil in Vienna all year round, but it's been shipped from Sicily or Spain and is definitely not organic. Cilantro, now that's a different story. It disappears. It usually shows up in late April and hangs out until October, when poof it disappears. There's not even relief by growing it yourself on the windowsill, there aren't enough daylight hours in Vienna. I've been craving Thai food with cilantro, salsa, homemade pesto, caprese salads, the list goes on. Leaving the cilantro out an substituting dried for the fresh basil, just doesn't cut it. I don't have to wait much longer. I know that chilies and really good tomatoes will be coming along shortly. Oh why didn't I start some in February?

See how green they are?


























How happy?

































I feel like the cilantro is waving at me.








Yes, today is going to be a good day indeed. To celebrate, the sun even came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails